My favorite place in the world is in my kitchen with my children. The laughter and memories made while cooking and baking together are irreplaceable. This blog lists some of our favorite recipes & experiments in the kitchen. Check back regularly for new posts, and be sure to check each week to get the recipes featured on our Cooking with Mommy online radio show!

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

In the Kitchen with Kids

My favorite place in all of the world is in the kitchen with my children. As I walk to the kitchen to begin cooking dinner or baking some wonderful dessert, my children scurry crazily across the house, racing to arrive at the kitchen first. They are so proud of their aprons and their REAL child-size cookware and bakeware. Their library of children's cookbooks rivals my own collection of cookbooks.

Oftentimes, the kitchen soon is a mess, but the lessons learned and the memories made during that session in the kitchen will carry them throughout their lives. I am sure of it. In the midst of the laughter and sounds of happy taste-testers, my children are learning math, nutrition, and science. They are learning how to read a recipe, and they are learning how to provide for their families when they are older. They are also learning the value of time spent with family.

So, in honor of my three favorite snugglebugs, I am going to keep this journal of our kitchen adventures. Check back often for recipes and ideas to use in your kitchen!

In the meantime, here is one of our EASY favorites:

Cherry Dump Cake (My 5 year old LOVES to make this all by herself!)
1 large can cherry pie filling
1 can crushed pineapple
1 box yellow cake mix
1 stick of butter, melted
1 c. chopped nuts (We prefer pecans!)

Grease a 9x13 baker. Layer the ingredients in the order listed above. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes until slightly golden. Enjoy!!!

No comments: